Thursday 19 December 2019

SLJ week 1 #3


St johns

St Johns is a voluntary organisation, that relies on donations from the community and a little financial support from the government.
In Hokitika, they visit schools teaching a programme called St Johns for schools. They teach us how to do CPR and put bandages on. Here is a picture of when they visited us at Kaniere School.

Every Christmas they drive around the community collecting food donations for the local food bank.

In Hokitika, we have a Youth St Johns group called the Penguins Club which you can join when you are 6 years old.

My family make a family donation every year so we don’t have to worry when we need to call St Johns. So far since we moved here 6 years ago, we have used 6 ambulances, 2 air ambulances to Christchurch and 1 helicopter to get my sister to the hospital.
sister to the hospital. 



2 comments:

  1. Hi Bella!

    Really awesome work on this post! I love how you have written so much about this amazing charity! Thank you for putting in so much effort. I didn’t realise they collected for the food banks. I had also never heard of their Penguins Club! Thank you for teaching me.

    Those pictures of when they came to your school are so cool! Do you remember very much of what they taught you?

    It is great that your family is a supporter of the St John's, as they do a very important job supporting the community. It is awesome that they could support your family in your time of need. I hope that you sister is on the mend and feeling better.
    St John's do a fantastic job with lots of different groups of people from families to the players on sports fields/courts so it is neat that they have the support of families like yours.

    Matilda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember most of what we learnt I think, and I hope if I do have to help someone, I will remember what to do.

      Delete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.